Having slept 14 hours, the kids and I were feeling much better about life (though we all felt a little bit "dizzy") and if the sleep hadn't helped, the gum, lollipops and candy at Great-Grandma's definitely had a temporarily soothing effect!
We joined a handful of cousins and their kids for the regular Wednesday lunch at my grandparents house. It's always fun to see how much the little ones have grown and hear a bit about their lives here in Orange County. I had fun talking with Uncle Steve and Aunt Francine about the possibility of them coming to NZ for a trip... I should become a travel agent! Grandma and Grandpa are so hospitable and generous each week opening their house and pantry for the kids to come and enjoy each other.
My kids both wanted to learn how to blow bubbles while they were there - unfortunately, neither mastered it... but they had fun trying!
My grandmother and I have had lots of fun adventures over the years... she's been to see me almost every place I've lived: Arizona and Kentucky with Grandpa, Korea with her girlfriends, Taiwan with Amber! She's always wanted to come to New Zealand but at 90 & 92, I don't think the other relatives are going to let them come... so I took some RJ's licorice, Whittaker's chocolate and Barker's Lemon Curd to give them a taste of NZ.
After lunch, Hunter went home with Grandpa & Travis to play wii and swim while mom and I took Helena to Super Cuts for a very significant event!!!
Helena had gorgeous long hair for a few years now, but there's a problem: she hates brushing it! It's so thick that it easily gets knotted and it has just become unbearable to take care of - tears, drama, arguments - you get the idea from the above photo! Well... we found a solution!
Locks of Love takes 10 inches of hair and turns it into wigs for children suffering from long-term illnesses - so we decided to donate 11 inches of Helena's hair. (for more info see www.locksoflove.org/ )
This is a WIN-WIN situation... it now takes 10 seconds to brush her hair and somebody else gets to benefit from her gorgeous waves! NICE job, Helena - we are proud of you!!!
And besides - look at how adorable she looks... actually we figured her hair does look a little like DORA - even more aDORAble!!!!
While in NZ, I'd asked the kids what they wanted to eat in California... one answer was Souplantation! They'd remembered (or recently saw in our 2012 blog book) the restaurant that our family enjoys - so on our second night, we went to dinner with the Sides, Grandpa & Grandma, plus Uncle John!!! And with the coupons our healthy dinner was only $16!!! Good grief - this is something I love about the USA!!!
Uncle John's plate was a masterpiece.... Helena and Hunter's plates were practically licked clean... everyone left full - physically and emotionally as this was only Day 2 and yet so much family goodness! YAHOO!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment