Thursday, 19 December 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I love November! I've always loved November! Mostly it was the Northern Hemisphere's autumn that I loved about November... here in NZ it's spring... so it's a bit different... but what I love about November is the opportunity to reflect on the year - and when it really boils down - I love Thanksgiving! It's funny because Thanksgiving is definitely not about the food for us... well, not in the traditional way. In the beginning of September we decided as a family to trial a plant-based, whole foods diet (read between the lines - basically a vegan diet)... so Thanksgiving posed a bit of a challenge. But we hosted our annual "Clark Family Thanksgiving Extravaganza" - and unlike years past, I was totally relaxed about the menu so there was all sorts of stuff on offer that people brought for the BBQ - and I think the only traditional food was the Pumpkin Pie I made - one fully loaded for the gang (meaning all the sugar, dairy and wheat they could handle) and a vegan version for us (which we did share - hesitantly, I  must confess as it was absolutely delicious!!!).

And though we didn't do our traditional Thanksgiving decorations or reflective games - we added a new twist this year - a family walk to the local school where we hung out for much longer than we expected to because we were all just having so much fun playing as an extended family.

 The 'mums' looking pretty happy that the dads are looking after the kids in the playground for a few minutes! We don't often have photos together without kids in our arms or on our laps... but it's so good to have friends who we can do this parenting thing together. For each of them (and the others not pictured), I am thankful.

 My handsome husband and best friend for over 11 years - we've had a great year with some changes - house, job, school, church roles, health... for him, I am VERY thankful!

 The kids were waiting in line for a turn on the maypole - or something like that - and they just looked so cute together! All four Anstiss kids and 2 out of 3 Simkins = fun friends who bring laughter to our families, and for them, we are thankful!

 Uncle Barclay was the unofficial maypole pusher... in fact, I think he did it solidly for over an hour. Friends who can help share the load - for them I am grateful!

 This little precious princess - she brings joy, warmth, laughter, creativity, hugs, intelligence, determination, song, spunk and for her and our time together - I am thankful!

 This handsome boy - he brings tenderness, encouragement, friendship, computer-interests, intelligence, curiosity, character, a sense of justice, helpfulness and for him and his new season - I am grateful!



 Look at this blue sky - come on - for our new neighbourhood, this great country, an amazing church community - for all of this I am truly grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment