Once I got somewhat 'settled' in our tent (I realize the first few days of camping are not at all relaxing as I try to get into the rhythm of sorting and resorting and resorting the stuff... and each time I keep thinking I'll be more organized next year...) I was able to just look around and enjoy the beauty of camping! Mom and Dad were such great sports and despite the clouds, wet, wind and chill - we had such a blast together! So here's a bit of general campy sort of stuff from the 8 days of 'roughing it'.
Our kids got lucky a couple of times and made it into the trailer... Chloe took such good care of Helena throughout the week. Plus Helena loved hanging out with Elise - so we spent quite a bit of time with the Alabasters.
Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock... we're in it for the long haul baby... our poor kids miss out on early morning festivities because we're in there slip, slap, slopping it all over! They'll appreciate it in the long term. Helena has taught herself to be as still 'as a statue' when we're working on it... it's about the only time she does sit still. And has her cutie petutie swimsuit suggests, she really is our "Little Miss Sunshine".
A flood last year changed the course of the river and actually, the river end of the beach was super fun for the kids to have their own lagoon.
Uncle Mike's blow up boat got some use from our two.
We only went to the main beach once during our stay and that was only for one purpose: the annual body-surfing competition! Somehow John didn't get the memo to bring a wetsuit so he decided to help the other guys get ready for the main event. Good thing it was totally overcast so the kids weren't keen to go in the water or explore too far from where I sat. Oh and at this time, mom & dad were out at the cafe having a real lunch date! Sheesh, why didn't we think of that?
Steffan's just plain smart, eh? No icy cold body-surfing competition for this guy PLUS he gets his wife to carry him around.
Here we are on one of our "Say Anything" evenings where we laughed hysterically at our silliness and strategy. This was the best part about camping - hanging out after the kids were asleep!
It was fun to have Grandma around to do some early morning reading shifts while we got breakfast ready. Let's face it, it was just nice to have Grandma and Grandpa around.
Dad was the entertainment this year while Tony and I caught some zzz's and/or chat time with friends since we don't often get to just hang out. Plus, the kids loved doing this (and anything really) with him.
After overheating during a study session back at the campsite, Tony arrived at the 'lagoon' bearing an uncharacteristically unhealthy snack - hot chips for everyone. As expected, Helena was a front row customer... she LOVES hot chips.
On a fine day, we finally made it to the Strawberry Patch. And although I did tell Helena I'd wake her up, she was just so sound asleep when we got there I didn't have the heart to do it - so for the third year in a row - she missed it. Hunter, on the other hand, has had three years of practice and he's become a fairly discerning strawberry picker. Mom and Dad enjoyed the overall experience...
but the ice cream was everybody's favourite part!!! Especially because they had a dairy free option!!!
And of course, we took them up to Te Mata Peak - on the most amazingly clear day ever!!!
Again, we joined resources with the Burrows Bunch and ate our breakfasts together. Here's Dad trying to reach into Hunter's bowl with the ole "Look over there..." routine! After a few days, Hunter caught on and would say "I don't want to sit next to Grandpa - he steals my food". Funny how Grandpa used that same trick on us! Classic. Even funnier that though Hunter knew what Grandpa was up to, he still sat next to him - he just held on to his bowl a bit tighter.
Helena and Aidan are such good buddies now... much has changed since their first camping trip together two years ago when she bit him, repeatedly.
And you can't beat the sweetness of super sleepy kids who've been going all day long...
until they finally just give up and surrender... sleep, such a beautiful commodity.
Hunter and his buddies - Caleb and Will. What special memories these boys are making!
No comments:
Post a Comment