So after our big Chinese dinner, we did manage to get the kids to sleep at a reasonable time... but even the cups of coffee and tea couldn't keep the rest of us awake - so we all called it a night at a reasonable time. But when we awoke, there were six grandparents and two parents for these little guys to bounce on, be read to by, cuddle with, be kissed by, fed by... you get the idea... Hunter and Helena were in kiddie paradise!
I loved this leg of the holiday - I don't think I touched a dish!!! That's my kind of holiday! Nanni Bev and Granny Lynne met each other for the first time and bonded in the kitchen...
while the men folk were playing cribbage in the lounge. But heck, everyone was happy!
Once we got to the pool, Helena was getting tossed around between grandparents, and let me tell you, that smile of hers did not wear off at all.
We could only handle so much thermal water so these guys got out and cleaned up before lunching on what else but tuna and/or egg salad sandwiches! I realized over this trip that I really like these sandwiches... or the options of either - but both are transportable (when you've got your handy cooler pack) and satisfying - must be the protein (and mayo - none of that sweet NZ mayo for my dad, though... only Best Foods would do).
Helena did not want to get out of the pool, but we finally convinced her...
I think there were biscuits or crackers involved in that convincing.
Once fed, we ventured into the bush for a walk through a small thermal park where we got to see all sorts of cool - I mean hot - sites.
There were mud pools, sulphuric pools, steamy deep green pools... it was pretty interesting, though Hunter began to get 'freaked out'.
Maybe he just wanted his ice block! Looks like everyone went for an ice block at the end of that hot walk.
Over the holiday, Hunter refined his skill of tasting other people's treats. This must run in the family because my dad is the same (and so am I). I hadn't had a Magnum bar for ages... I was grateful Dad was always willing to share a taste. HA!
Tony, my parents and Hunter stayed at the pools for a bit longer... but when they returned they were ready for... more cribbage!
That night we had a big family BBQ - thanks to Bev who'd stopped at the Mad Butcher on her way down! How cool is this - we've got my dad who's visiting from the USA; Tony's dad who now lives on Waiheke Island; and Papa Dave from Auckland - all here in Turangi (middle of the country - a good 5 hour drive) just to hang out with us! Really, I felt so blessed to have these loving people in the same house. And if I was feeling that - you know the kids were too! What a unique experience!
It had been a lovely day all around... and a perfect evening for an outdoor BBQ dinner! The house we rented had 3 bedrooms and a sleep-out... plus 2 bathrooms and a pull-out bed in the lounge... it was PERFECT for this group... what a great find!!!
After the kids were asleep we played Mexican Train together - it wasn't the most relaxing of things to do, but it was memorable... and there were a few laughs to go around.
Mostly by Dad and Tony...
Loads of good times with this lot!!
ReplyDelete