So the kids were starting school on a Tuesday - strange, I know... and the weather for the previous few days had been Wellingtonesque. But I was determined to have some serious summer fun on the day before they headed off to school so I was thrilled that the sun was out! We had errands to fit in so I decided that we'd ride everywhere... it was a mega bike ride, and it's only now that I realise I didn't even take a photo of us on the bikes... hmmmm.
We started out by riding to the medical centre to get two more warts burnt off Helena's foot... (Oh I said it was the Best Day Ever but that may depend on whom you ask)! Then we rode another 15 minutes along the airport waterfront to the Kilbirnie blood lab to do a follow up for Helena (where they had to try both arms because she squirmed the first time)... next we safely crossed the street to the bike shop to get a couple bolts for Hunter's water bottle cage... then we rode up a slight hill and 10 minutes later arrived at our destination - Maranui Cafe at Lyall Bay!
It was a gorgeous day so we didn't mind sitting outside!
Well, we didn't mind for the first 15 minutes - then it did become rather hot! The kids didn't seem to mind - they ate their hot chips, GF/vegan brownie along with some cold water and they were happy campers!
It was so stunning and they had ridden so well, that we stopped at the beach for a bit of a play in the sand... water... playground... sand... water... playground... Helena, though, forgot that this was a bike ride and got completely soaked (and sandy) and had to ride home like that... (yes, best day ever?!?)
Well, I was having the best day - just kicking back on the warm sand enjoying the sun and seeing those smiles on my kids' faces. It's not like I can just cruise over to the beach by myself when they go to school now, can I? Hmmmm... why wouldn't I? Could I? Is that ok?
Once the kids had had enough sand, water and playground, it was time to make another couple of stops - Bunnings for a rat trap and Pak n Save for some lunchbox goodies! Just as we were coming out of Pak n Save I received a text from a friend saying there were dolphins in the harbour... oh my - that is just what we needed to get our hustle on... we raced over there on our bikes and at first didn't see anything.
so we just took some silly selfies to remember our mega bike ride and summer fun...
and then we noticed some movement in the harbour... way out in the distance... why yes - it was a pod of dolphins - about 20 of them!!! WOW - they were having so much fun but going the wrong way... eventually they figured it out (though Tony saw them when he went for his ride that night)... and we headed home for a well earned refreshing snack of some kind.
I have really loved this time with the children - 7 years is a long time, really! We have all grown and hopefully I can navigate this next season with more love, grace, and quiet conversations while still doing silly, spontaneous FUN!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment