Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Thanksgiving Saturday

I love Thanksgiving! It's always been one of my favorite holidays. And although I love the traditional foods (let's face it, I just like food) and the fact that we can gather with family and friends, I do love that it's a time called "thanksgiving" which reminds me to pause and really give thanks. I'd like to think I'm a generally thankful person. And I'd like to think that we are raising our kids to be appreciative and grateful people. But even still - it's a great time to once again take the time to give thanks!  Here are a few things to get you thinking that this concept of giving thanks goes back a whole lot further than the Pilgrims in the new world:

  • 30 times in the (NIV version) Old Testament the people were reminded to “GIVE THANKS” (and 4 of those are just in Psalm 136) “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever.” Ps.136:1
  • The word “thanksgiving” is mentioned 30 times in the Bible (NIV version).
  • In the Bible, thanksgiving is often accompanied by singing!!
  • 3 times in the Bible the phrase “grateful praise” is mentioned! (Psalm 100:1, 147:7, Jonah 2:9)
  • In 1 & 2 Chronicles, the word ‘thanks’ is recorded at least 9 times- mostly regarding the priests offering up worship!
  • There was a “fellowship offering” described in Leviticus 7 that was intended to be offered as an ‘expression of thankfulness’
 This week of Thanksgiving, I had the honor of leading two women's Bible study groups on the topic of giving thanks. We looked at Colossians 3:15-17 and saw how Paul exhorted the Christians in Colossi to be thankful, have a grateful heart and give thanks - all forms in just three verses. When we neglect to be thankful, it's pretty hard to let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts (3:15) let alone just having any form of peace in our home. When the message of Christ dwells in us we are prompted to teach, admonish and encourage each other - but we do this with gratitude in our hearts to the Lord (3:16). Really, since the message of Christ is LOVE and FORGIVENESS we can't help but be thankful which spurs us on to everything else which is why Paul then says "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." 

This amazing love deserves at the very least our expression of thanks. I heard a pastor on a Joyce Meyers' thanksgiving broadcast say that "unexpressed gratitude is the same as ingratitude". Wow. Simple, but true, right? When we're busy washing dishes, preparing meals, folding clothes, wiping noses, changing nappies, transporting people, tidying up after everyone we don't often get a "thank you mommy" because our children are either a) too young to really know (which means we can teach them) or b) just take it for granted that we're supposed to do all these things. Same for our husbands, eh? But we also take them for granted - him leaving the comfort of home to get to work, facing challenges once he gets there, stretching himself to be all he can be, earning income to help us live and give, providing opportunities for us to get out and do what we need to do as well, protecting, supporting, loving... I am thankful for all of these things, but I know I forget to say thank you to Tony for all of that. I have been challenged this Thanksgiving to remember to speak out my thanks! To my husband. To my children. To my friends. To the kindy teachers. To the check out clerk. And most importantly, to my God, my Saviour, the One who gave everything for me. I don't know about you, but I think the least I can do is open my mouth a few times a day to say "THANK YOU" and mean it.

 So with thanksgiving in our hearts we invited a bunch of folks to our place for a potluck picnic on Saturday November 26. We had our turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie and I even whipped up my Grandma's famous "Emerald Salad" (which by the way I chose to adapt slightly but it was gobbled up quicker than if I stuck to the original). People also brought all sorts of other goodies to share and we enjoyed some great company on a beautiful sunny Saturday.
 Tony takes his turkey carving quite seriously.

 Of course I forgot to pull out the camera when everyone was eating in tidy groups which would've made for a better photo, but oh well. This year we scrapped our traditional games and decided just to let people mix and mingle and let the kids play freely. It was neat to see people making new connections and even exhanging contact details.

Here's me with my friend Marg. She's a neighbor who's son goes to Kindy with Hunter. She also comes to Arise Church. I've really enjoyed getting to know Marg and sharing life with her in this past year. We can look after each other's children, have cups of tea and just laugh at stuff and now she's even been coming along to the women's group so we've been able to pray together and discuss God's word. I am super thankful for her!


 
Merridith and Laurene... Merridith works for the church - she's always got a smile, encouraging word and an answer to my questions. She's also American and we are grateful for her and her husband Rich. Laurene has been my friend for years now - since pre-Taiwan days and now she's about to get married in the new year! I am so thankful for her encouragement and friendship as well. It's going to be exciting to see the new chapters!

 Ian, Mike and Tony looking thankful for food and fun!

Lisa is full of gratitude and encouragement everytime we see each other. I was thankful she helped do the dishes at the end of the night!

1 comment: