Sunday, 21 August 2016

Getting Intense...

One of the biggest challenges (and greatest rewards) with this counselling degree is the two weeks each semester I need to spend in Tauranga. The challenge is logistically setting up home for a win while I'm intensely spending my brain and emotions in classes all day. 

This is part of the schedule that hung on the refrigerator to help Tony, Nanni & Papa figure out the wheres, whos, whens and whats of our daily routine while I'm away. Thankfully we have good friends who were also willing and able to step in and cover a few pick ups and drop offs every now and then. 


One of the highlights of my time in Tauranga is the walk from the Gordon's house to the school - it was a pretty good hour of walking but it set me up for the day. It was amazing how quickly I could get up and out of the house when I was only looking after one person. I am so thankful for the Gordon's. 


On Tuesday 9 August Nanni & Papa arrived in Wellington just in time to celebrate Helena's 8th birthday!!! In honour of the two birthday girls, Tony took them all to Gasworks for a celebratory meal. Somebody really enjoys being the birthday princess!


Meanwhile, back in Tauranga, I had my first marae sleepover!!! It was a giant slumber party where 60+ of us experienced te reo, tikanga and manaakitanga in a way I hadn't before. It was reminiscent of an old church camp type style - we shared the kitchen set up and clean up duties in between lessons and cultural snippets. 



This is an incredible stack of sleeping arrangements... with enough for everyone!



I had too much fun playing the big sister with Natasha and Anna before dinner... I thought I was back at Forest Home or one of those other campy places. 

Over the weekend, Tony and the kids were doing something fun in Wellington while I spent the day in the library. While I was there, Amber contacted me to say that dad had been taken to the hospital and diagnosed with AF. I had to find a study room at the library so I could skype him without the librarians shhhushhing me, but it was good to be able to chat a while... until it was time to get back into my work before the library closed. 


On the Sunday, Kate and Leitaya took Helena out for a birthday bash at Te Papa! Helena loved the girl time (and Tony loved the cycling time since he'd arranged for Hunter to go to the Burrows').


I loved walking through the reserve on my way to the school - it was full of wonder.

The walks home were a bit brighter and warmer... though I was surprised at how dry and warm Tauranga was. I was looking at a few houses in the area... maybe one day we may find ourselves taking the migration.

During one of our lunch breaks, I splashed out for an award winning pie!!! Kirstie, Winnie and Anna were keen to join - and with great self-discipline I only went once! 

Lorraine loves Zumba... so Greta and I joined her and her crew at two different locations for a bit of movement and laughter. I was transported to my high school gym class trying to do aerobics at the back of the class - ha! I got a kick out of my own uncoordination!

Carey and Lorraine Gordon have been my hosts for the four weeks I've needed to stay in Tauranga this year. They are so lovely - so laid back and easy to be around. I am so grateful that I have made new connections and had a chance to be on the receiving end of such high calibre hospitality! 

There were the occasional days when I needed to take the bus to school or home... thankfully there was a bus stop right across the street. Seriously, I was ready to move to Tauranga several times this year... but I remain grateful that we live in Wellington. 


Yep - so this is me... the counselling student!

No comments:

Post a Comment