Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Other October Goodness

 We'd just returned from our big snowboarding trip so I could get away with the look without giving away the purpose of the beanie... ha! But when Helena saw me in my beanie and denim jacket she went upstairs to change... mother daughter matchy-matchy! Good thing I got a photo of her in that adorable beanie from the great-grandparents because within ten minutes she lost it... at church! Lucky someone scored a super cute Hurley beanie (hope they wear it on a Sunday, we may just get it back then).

 Tony has found a new work-out regime: Freeletics! It's quite motivational and as you can see - he can do it anywhere!  He is on his third or fourth week already... looking and feeling good! Oh and good thing he's so handy - he built himself (all of us, I guess) a proper chin-up bar (you can see it in the Labour Day Weekend entry)... way to go, Tony!


 Helena was Mathlete of the Week... of all the kids in the school, she was chosen as the most dedicated, improved and/or prolific on the Mathletics programme. We're so proud of her... and it's a good thing she's good at math - she was pretty excited to discover that she got an extra day of holding on to the trophy since it was a long weekend... ha!  Well done!

 We had a couple of AMAZING days - like real summer already! They've been changing the Wellington sign for a couple of interesting events - at the end of September they did this in honour of the World Of Wearable arts (WOW) festival. On these kind of days I could get used to this nickname for our city...
 It was such a beautiful evening, we took the kids for an after-dinner-walk to the waterfront area where they built this cool "house" out of driftwood and rocks... good memories and good skills (it was still there a week later).


 During the school holidays, these three boys were all on separate schedules... and the holidays before we were in the USA... so because Hunter had been missing his friends, we invited them over for a boy's night sleepover with a bit of adventure... After a lovely afternoon/evening of general hanging out (without much up-take on the ole help the Clark's in the dirt/lawn like we thought they would), Tony took the boys on an adventure outside to build some good masculine memories. They hit the tree swing at Worser Bay with a bit of a climb up a hilly bank at dusk, a run through the Seatoun Tunnel (with Tony in the car driving alongside), ice creams and arcade games at Burger King... and some spotlight tag at the school grounds... they came back excited and somehow miraculously able to sleep! We are grateful for good friends... and it was the start of some good memory-making!

 Of course, while the boys were out, I needed something 'girlie' to do with Helena... the only thing I could think of which required little exertion was a cosy, cuddly evening with a classic novel and pretty tea cups sitting in my warm bed. I think I got it right - this time. Good thing Helena loves books (and tasty treats) because she was feeling pretty left out of the boy's night.


Hunter and Helena have enrolled in an Artrageous class on Wednesdays this term... it's a lot of 'free' play with plenty of different activities and media to choose from. The kids are LOVING it... week one they did collage, hot glue gun assembling, painting, and building; week two they did clay working, messy play, 'spider webs' and shell painting... this week they did print making (on different types of paper)... they are having a blast... and it's a good thing the teachers are so generous because I'm hoping to generate a bit of household art while I wait!


 October was also the month of preparation for our school's big fund-raiser... 
the Multi-cultural Food Fair!!! 
As part of the Active Parents and Teachers team, I spent a bit of time helping to organise, mobilise and actively participate in plenty of things to ensure the event was a success... and it was!

Friday 31 October was the BIG DAY!!! Thankfully, my friend Isako offered to pick the kids up from school to take them to soccer then bring them back! It was fun to see Tai having fun with our kids and the kids he met over the school holidays with us. Tony got off work early so that he could spend time helping out too... his first duty - feed the kids!


 The Thibodeau's and I did the "Mexican" stall - well, we did the American Western version of burritos and nachos!!! We spent over two hours dishing up our homemade beef (her) and beans (me) to lines of hungry customers. It was a blast (especially considering I'd had the on-set of a migraine come on just 2 hours before the event started... with lots of prayer and a few meds I was up and running)!

 Funniest part - I volunteered Tony (the vegetarian) to man the sausage sizzle... he's just so good at it, though... and I guess you don't have to worry about him eating into the profits! HA!

All in all it was a great evening with a wonderful community buzz! We raised more than we expected so we were very grateful for that! It was a good way to spend Halloween and a great way to end the month!

Gosh, time really seems to fly by, but looking back, October was a very full month-how did we cram all that stuff into 31 days!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment