Tony had been looking forward to this week all year long!!! Saturday 27 September we loaded ourselves and all the gear into the car for a quick drive north to Ohakune for a week of Snow Sports. Although it was spring, there was plenty of snow... and because it was spring, there was plenty of sun... which ticked plenty of boxes for all of us.
Tony actually flew to Rotorua on the Thursday before and got all excited about what he saw out the window! We made it up to the mountain by 2pm on Saturday so he actually got to spend a couple of hours on the slopes (I think he said he got in 6 runs during that time) while the kids and I hung out in the cafe playing games and outside in the snow with the Simkin girls.
On Sunday it rained, so we met the Tye's at church in Raetihi and came back to the chalet for some hot soup, funny conversation, a bit of Qwirkle and some drizzly cricket (thanks Suze - the best mom ever). Then the Simkin girls popped over for some games and fruit salad... Tony & Andrew took the crew out for an adventure walk and Amanda & I had some quality catch up time in the warmth. Dinner was a tasty treat at The Suitcase with a lovely open fire and a some entertaining children.
For years Tony has tried to convince me that once I get better at snowboarding I'd enjoy it more... I couldn't see past all the spills and achy muscles and sore ligaments... but this week I did improve a bit which meant a little less pain and little less frustration (though I still had to visit the physio upon return home for a strained knee and rotator cuff!) - and I think the spa pool at the Rocky Mountain Chalets had something to do with my overall experience.
Hunter and Helena were in the Turoa Holiday Crew Programme for the week... they absolutely rocked it!!! But even after 2 hours of snow sports, they both still wanted to go down the Giant with their dad... so lunch hours became lunch shovelling... and they were off again!!!
The Pink Panther returns
So yes, the kids are much better at snow sports than I am... which is good for Tony... and in fact they are quite willing to do and go anywhere so the three of them did a bit of up and downing of the mountain and I did a bit of chilling out at the cafe with my journal. Everyone was happy!
Most of the days were really clear, sunny and actually warm... and there was actually enough snow to keep it fun. Monday, while the kids were in lessons, Tony got to do some boarding with Stephen and a few runs with Andrew... I'm always supportive of him going snowboarding with the guys (it means I can do things at my own pace)... so it was fun he had a couple around.
After lessons, Helena and Ruby were just pinkish blurrs whizzing up and down the Wintergarden slopes, while Hunter and Eleanor dominated the bigger slopes with Tony and Andy.
Tuesday was even sunnier than Monday so the kids enjoyed their lesson, I enjoyed some time with Tony and we all enjoyed our spa pool afterwards! Wednesday was too windy at Turoa so Tony, always thinking of ways to maximise mountain time, decided to take a trip to Whakapapa... so we reloaded into the car and headed to the other side of the mountain...
It's been years since we've been to Whakapapa... it was stunning!
Unfortunately, getting off the first chairlift, I strained my knee - so that was me for the day. Tony took the kids up and down a bit and they loved it!!!! Thankfully, it was another sunny day (I realise I really do appreciate sun)!
Us in our snow sport glory with our faithful vehicle that can fit all of our gear in (just)!
The Whakapapa side of the mountain is so interesting - it's a totally different look and feel. Of course this is a different mountain altogether, but it's part of the view from here... I think I like this side better - mostly because of the desert-esque scenery - reminds me of my Arizona State Uni days...
It was very windy again on Thursday, and Tony told the kids to keep their balacalavas on, but oh no... they didn't heed his advice so their poor little faces got wind burned. Notice the greasy glow in this photo - we vaselined them up before bed, in the morning, during the day and after showers for the next few days and they were back to usual... how precious they are!
We stayed in the best place! The Rocky Mountain Chalets are a collection of holiday homes that are arranged almost like a camp ground... but thankfully instead of tents we had a warm house with all the kitchen tools I needed to prepare hot nutritious meals and all the laundry amenities we needed to keep us on the slopes each day! Thanks to our friends Steve and Kathy who rented theirs to us... the Simkins and Fletts were also in this complex so it really did have a camp ground feel to it. In fact we took our crock pot chili over to the Fletts on Wednesday night for nachos... while the kids just ran around the neighbourhood playing ball tag! Super fun!
On Friday it rained so the kid's programme was held in the local college for a day of gym sports with the instructors and friends. So this is Steffan handing Hunter his certificate for completing level BLUE as a snowboarder! Steffan spent one-on-one time with Hunter in the mornings with a couple of afternoons with two other boys. He was greatly encouraging and Hunter really enjoyed learning and exploring the mountain with him!
Helena's instructor was an American guy named James from northern California. He was great with her - balancing her fearlessness with new techniques to improve her skiing skills! What a life - he's a full-time ski instructor travelling between hemispheres doing what he loves and teaching others how to do it! Fun! Tony's sold - trying to think of what he could teach that we could travel on...
In Levin we stopped to look at potential new beds... well, Tony and Hunter went to have a look while I caught a few winks as the driver... ready to make the rest of the trip home! It was a great week... and we arrived home to a sunny, dry Wellington which made unloading simple!
Now in the past, I have not been a big mountain fan... but this week's sunny outlook has given me a fresh perspective and I can now imagine holidays at the mountain in the future that could include me doing a bit of snowboarding... though I did tell Tony I think I'd save myself for the spring season!
No comments:
Post a Comment