Since Helena turned 5 in August, we've begun Princess School. (Basically, I'm home-schooling her until January 2013 because otherwise she'd be in the same classroom with Hunter and I just thought it would be best for him to have a bit of time to get his own footing in the school first.) Besides doing numbers, letters and character discussions - I'm really enjoying this special time with her. We get lots of time on the sofa reading books... we drink lots of tea and eat lots of toast... we do a bit of baking... get the shopping done... and we also host a women's group together.
She loves taking pictures of herself... I really need to get her camera up and running.
This was a funny one... she thought it would be fun to play with daddy's shaving cream... when I told her to stop, she decided the best way to get it off was to use daddy's razor. Oops! Thankfully, it wasn't a major deal, but I'm pretty sure she won't play with daddy's stuff again. The band-aid was her idea! Classic... and she was very careful eating dinner.
Before I had children, I thought I'd be the parent who kept my daughter's hair short until she could take care of it herself. But, she's got beautiful wavy hair... and a daddy who much prefers long hair... so we've got a minor dilemma since she doesn't like having it brushed! To solve this, we typically wash and brush her hair only once a week - Thursday - after swimming lessons! On this particular Thursday, Tony did double braids with a twist! The twist didn't last til the next morning, BUT those double braids lasted all week. Guess how many braids she had this week?
Tony picked up this adorable headband while in Asia... she's been wearing it everywhere! On this particular day, she'd been so good through an apartment tour, handled an appliance shopping trip as well as finished a number chart to 109 that I decided we'd stop at McDonald's for some fries and a $1 coffee. She enjoyed the food and the attention (and the change I let her keep from her fries).
What I am so grateful for is friends who actually like my kids. And I love that my kids love other kids. With all this love, my friend Suze invited Helena over to hang out with her boys for a bit. Helena was so pleased that she'd get to hang out with Mrs Suze without me and I was so pleased to have an hour to myself so it was a win-win situation.
And Suze is an amazingly focused momma and had all sorts of fun for the kids to do during their time together. Helena really enjoyed her time there - good thing because we'll have the boys over next week.
A couple of weeks ago, Helena met up with another dear friend, Auntie Merrin, who took her for a walk and a nosey in shops while I was having a doctor's check-up. Another win-win - she got to enjoy some one-on-one time while I got to have, well, a quiet few minutes. We took Auntie Merrin out for a coffee when Helena noticed this statue of Katherine Mansfield on Lambton Quay. The cool thing was that just the other day, she was flicking through a magazine and noticed this sculpture... she is very observant.
And she is fearless...
In fact, she got the biggest kick out of this dead rat that Tony collected from behind the doors to the roof cavity in her room! Now she's the one to remind us to check the traps... goodness gracious... and how many rats have we caught you're wondering??? Well, so far 3!! Yuck!!


No comments:
Post a Comment