Sunday, 13 January 2013

Happy 2013!!!!


We've been on a re-charging holiday... one of those holidays with a little bit of everything - adventure/routine, sickness/health, family time/friend time, inside/outside, sun/rain, late nights/late sleeps, good books/ridiculous TV, ice cream/porridge- one of those good, long, well-balanced holidays. And though real life hasn't fully set in since Tony's still got a week before he starts a new job  and we've got about two and a half weeks before we start school, I've been doing a bit of reflection and have a few ideas about what I want in this new year.

I've been reading an interesting book called "Seasons of a Mother's Heart" by Sally Clarkson, and though the cover looks very old-fashioned, I have found it very inspiring and have been encouraged to really ask God what it is that He wants me to do in this season with my children and family. I feel very good about this coming year as a home-school family; and since the current plan is to start both children in school in 2014, I am really looking forward to making the most of this season with Hunter at home! I believe it is going to be a significant time for both of us (and Helena from August). 

We've also just read "The Hole in the Gospel" by Richard Stearns which has also inspired us to re-examine or re-assess our priorities as Christians. I'm not totally sure what God is about to do, but we both feel a bit of a stirring so my "goals" for this year are going to seem a bit different as I am asking the Lord how to live my life purposely, lovingly and according to His path for me/us - not just what seems logical or orderly or just good - but what is His best plan. But of course, those answers do not usually just come in one big download, so that means I've got to start with the basics: Love God, Love People (Matthew 22:34-40); Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly (Micah 6:8); Sow Generously (2 Corinthians 9:6). That's a pretty steep starting block, but with the Holy Spirit's guidance and strength that's where we'll start... and aim to finish!!!


Wherever you are, and whatever you've experienced in the past - the beauty of a new year is that it is just another opportunity to start again. In fact, that's the beauty of each day! I want to remember a few other things this year to keep me focused on growth in God as a woman, wife and mother:


 Look for and acknowledge God's beautiful handiwork in His creation.

 Don't try to carry something that doesn't need to be carried.
(I don't have to take on someone else's burden - pray about it, YES! but don't carry it for them)

Don't get tripped up in the details... keep my eyes on the big picture!

 Enjoy the moment!!!


Establish some really fun family memories!!! 

Just get out there and give stuff a go!!!
(yes, this is Helena riding a two wheeler!!!!)

Happy 2013!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment