Friday, 25 February 2011

It Was A Fun, Full Week...

Starting with our "getaway" on Friday (see a couple posts below) we've had a pretty full, fun week...


Sunday after chuch we had our friends the Burrows Bunch come over for a full family hang out. It was one of those days where we just lounged around eating, chatting, playing for several hours between church services... you know, like you do when you go to Grandma's or to your auntie's house for a family lunch (minus the card games of my family). And though there were five children, a blazing sun and stacks of washing to have been done, I really felt so relaxed and truly 'at home' with these friends. What a blessing.

Monday of course was Valentine's Day!!! Tony & I had already had our 'date' over the weekend, but I did manage to turn out a few treats for my little Valentine's which included pink yogurt and milk at breakfast,  heart cookies for morning tea (which we gave away to some other friends so we wouldn't eat all of them), heart shaped cheese on their rice cakes in the afternoon and a pink bath made from beetroot juice!!! As for Tony, well, he got the pink yogurt and some "I love Daddy" cards in his lunch bag!

Then on Tuesday and Thursday I took the kids to Victoria University's International Student Orientation... HUGE (ARISE Church's Uni-age ministry) was on campus handing out goodies, offering services and making students feel welcome here in their new 'hometown'. It was a well-spent hour and a bit where we got to meet and greet students from all over the world. Everything in me was buzzing as I was reminded that a long time ago my passion was to work amongst international students... it actually wasn't so long ago, but over the past few years my attention has been shifted to moms and young kids... but you know, I think it's time to get back to it... so we'll see what God's got in store for me and the kids with the university students.

Hunter and Helena were very willing to help out too, and why wouldn't they - there was fusball, ice cream and lollies at their fingertips and a very distracted mom so they could enjoy it all without restraint! Until they got in the car and declared their tummies hurt from too many lollies...



On Friday we were back into town to Junglerama where we got to hang out with the Burrow's again! I had got us a special discount for Christmas - 1 for me and 1 for Anne so we were just finally able to use the voucher. We pretty much had the place to ourselves since it was a) a school day and b) absolutely gorgeous outside... but the kids had a blast and after a pastoral visit to the hospital with only one child, Anne and I got to sit down with a coffee someone else made - now that's a good day!

 My little rock climber... she loves this stuff!
 Helena and Aidan in a peaceful moment working together! After Junglerama, Anne had to take Caleb for a school visit so I took her other two kids home and we all had a good play in a very tidy (but didn't stay that way) house on a beautiful sunny day!
Saturday 19 February was spent at Hutt Boys International School where we attended the ARISE Leadership Retreat. The kids had a fun-filled day with special activities and games, while we experienced a power-packed day of messages from our Senior Pastor and Pastor Joel A'Bell from Hillsong Church in Australia. He was a great speaker with some very practical thoughts regarding leadership - maybe I'll do something else with that since it was so good. Anyway, from 9.30am til 4.30pm when the kids were totally melting down we hung out around our church family... then I took the kids home and left Tony to attend the evening session with full concentration! I'm glad we were able to be there - it was another time of watering for our spirits. Pastor Joel spoke again at chuch on Sunday and though I originally thought we'd just go to one service, we both knew we needed to be at the evening service too... so thankfully the kids got a nap during the day and thankfully Mondays we usually have time to recover!

After a quiet morning pre-kindy, I decided that we'd better take advantage of the beautiful weather we'd been having so when I picked Hunter up from kindy I suggested we go to the beach! CRAZY adventure...we managed to pursuade our new friends to come along and Anne and the kids met us up at Plimmerton Beach by 3.30 on a Monday!!! How's that - just throw caution to the wind!!!! It was an absolutely GORGEOUS afternoon and the kids had a blast throwing rocks and playing in the sand.

Funnily enough, as we rolled into the driveway, I got a text from a friend in the neighborhood inviting us to their house for BBQ dinner... so the kids had quick baths while I made the pasta I was planning for dinner and we arrived at their place by 6.30 only to turn around at 7.40... but heck, the kids got to play with friends, eat dinner with friends and make a mess in someone else's house while I got to chat with friends, eat dinner with friends and not clean up at all... too bad Tony had to work late!

No comments:

Post a Comment