Hunter's big 5th birthday party was held on Saturday, 28 January... and it was a great day for our newly five year old and his buddies. Of course Hunter had requested certain friends to come along, so I sent out the initial text (no cute invitations from this household this year). Well, those friends have siblings and parents... and then I'd run into others and think "oh, we can certainly just invite another friend"... and in typical Jen fashion, the guest list had sorta expanded. So you can imagine the knot in my tummy when I woke up on Friday morning and the temperature had dropped by what seemed like 5 degrees and the rain was practically horizontal. "Hunter," I stated, "you'd better start praying that God brings good weather for your birthday party tomorrow." It was my only hope - there was absolutely no way we'd be able to squeeze the now 30+ people into my house... So pray he/we did.
And on Saturday morning - as you'd expect - clear skies, bright sun, and summer temperatures! PRAISE GOD!!! We had much to be thankful for! And... much work to do before the guests arrived at 11am.
After creating his super fun train cake last year (as per his request) I figured I was up for anything he'd throw my way (funny how one successful cake can inspire such confidence). So when he said he wanted a monster truck cake I had no doubt I could deliver. But it was Tony's contribution and steady hands that really turned this into a work of edible art!! And you can tell by Hunter's expression - it was good!!!
I particularly like the river, the chocolate cake boulders and the tire tracks... Hunter particularly liked the trucks that he got to keep!
So what do you do at a 5 year old boy's birthday party? I'm glad you asked...
We started out with some freeze tag (which was a bit on the crazy side with little kids who really didn't know what they were doing), then moved on to "bull rush" (which ended when our pastor got accidentally sandwiched between the two Clark towers and felt a ping in her neck), quickly proceeded by 'duck, duck, goose' (while her neck was being assessed by Dr Derek). Unfortunately, I was busy playing so no photos of any of this... however... we then sent the kids on a simple treasure hunt where they needed to find two party poppers and one lollipop in order to retrieve the final treasure - bubbles (all Hunter's choices - he's a pretty good party planner)!!!
At 5 years old - they still loved this!!!
Hunter chose the menu - sausages, pineapple, watermelon, oranges and rice crackers. Pretty good planning, son. (I did add chicken along with veggies and hummus for the adults - gotta have healthy options, right?).
I loved watching Hunter roam between his friends - I'm pretty sure he did play with almost everybody.
It was fun having Judah bring along the rest of the Anstiss family. We were just at their house the Saturday before for Bronte's 2nd birthday... it's been really fun living near these guys again! Just like family!
See - somehow Hunter managed to attract most of the boys over to where he was sitting for lunch. He really looks grown up now - I think it's the watch that the Cardno's gave him... something about a timepiece on one's arm that gives off a mature distinction, eh? Or... it could just be all that hair!
After lunch, Tony and Mike and Barclay took the boys down the driveway for some running races... always a favorite with this age group. Then, it was cake time and more running around.
And... did you notice that blue sky!?! Hunter's prayers (and mine) had been answered and a good time was had by all! Happy birthday, dear Hunter - Happy birthday to you!!!
Happy birthday, Hunter!! Five years seems so BIG, doesn't it? Great job on the cake.
ReplyDelete